Burns High School
District 3 Offices, Alternative School, Eastern Oregon Academy
550 N. Court
A wooden school house was built near this site in 1895, where elementary students attended school until 1912, and then high school students. The present building was built by C. E. Sibaugh in 1928 at a cost of $80,000. The building was constructed of native brick from a brickyard in Burns. Classes began here in January of 1929. In 1930, 150 students were enrolled.
In 1960, high school students moved to a new building at 1100 Oregon Avenue. The old building was used by the courthouse while that building was being repaired.
In 1964, the building was renovated and seventh and eighth graders moved into the building in 1965. It was renamed Lincoln Junior High. In 1971, seventh and eighth graders from Hines joined the Burns students. Enrollment that year was 352.
An elevator was added in 1995. In 2003, the seventh graders moved to Hines Middle school and the District offices were moved to the building. The next year, the eighth graders also moved to Hines.
Historical photo © Harney County Library. Used by permission.
Current photos © Burns High School 2011
Photos may not be copied, downloaded, or otherwise used without written permission.