Burns Grade School
800 N. Fairview
In 1875, Silvies River School District #13 was created. It was located at Egan, between Burns and Hines. In 1884, the school was moved to Miller’s Cove which is now Memorial Field at the north end of town. In 1885, it was moved to Main street in Burns at the corner of Broadway and Monroe, present site of Parr Lumber. When Harney County was established in 1889, School District #1 was created from the Silvies River School District.
A new elementary schoolhouse was constructed in 1912, the present site of Slater Elementary School, Unit II. It was a two-story building with a basement, 8 classrooms, office, gymnasium and auditorium. The high school moved into the old grade school.
In 1948, the new grade school was completed. Burns Grade School was renamed to Henry L. Slater school in 1971 in honor of Henry L. Slater who was principal for 31 years. He retired in 1971.
Historical photo © Harney County Library. Used by permission.
Current photos © Burns High School 2011
Photos may not be copied, downloaded, or otherwise used without written permission.