530 N. Broadway
This is the oldest commercial building in town. It was built in 1896 of native stone for Nathan Brown. The site originally had a wooden building which was removed. Mr. Brown opened a general merchandising store, N. Brown & Sons, in 1884. He acquired the land where the building now sits on April 21, 1885 and moved his store into the building when it was completed. The Brown family did business here well into the 1930s.
At one time, Mr. Brown ran a bank where he stored valuables for ranchers, gold miners, and his customers. The safe he installed is still located in the back of the building.
Historical photos © Harney County Museum. Used by permission.
Current photos © Burns High School 2011
Photos may not be copied, downloaded, or otherwise used without written permission.